We’ll show you how to start using ChatGPT and get the best out of it. You’ll also learn about the latest updates.
OpenAI’s ChatGPT sparked an AI movement last fall when it was released. The AI chatbot has been a major topic of discussion and has inspired those at Twitter, Google and Amazon to develop their own AI projects.
Though ChatGPT only launched in November, it gained 100 million users by January, quickly becoming the fastest-growing ‘app’ of all time, surpassing TikTok — until Threads dethroned it in July. ChatGPT is so popular and high-performing that some wonder if the AI chatbot could replace programmers, writers, and doctors. Others are thinking about how it could revolutionize different industries.
Log in or register at chat.openai.com
Sign up by visiting chat.openai.com. You can use your email address, Google or Microsoft account. To log in to ChatGPT, you must create a free account at the OpenAI site.
Click ‘Sign Up’ to create an account if this is your first time. Follow the instructions on how to fill out your details. OpenAI requires a valid telephone number to verify your account.
2. ChatGPT disclaimer
You’ll then see some disclaimers before you can chat with the AI chatbot. You’ll need to read and accept each before entering the chat.
Click Next for the first two terms and then Done for the third.
- ChatGPT: Learn How to Use It
After logging in to your OpenAI Account on the ChatGPT site, it’s time to familiarize yourself with the AI tool window. This is a description of what you’ll see. The image below serves as an example.
- Hide sidebar buttons & start new chat: You’ll find a button on the left side of your screen that says ‘New Chat’. Click it to begin a new conversation at any moment. This feature is helpful because the ChatGPT system remembers previous conversations and will provide context when responding. Starting a new conversation will result in a discussion that needs more context.
- Chat history: You can also turn off the chat history in the left sidebar. You can also edit the chat title, share it with others or delete it.
- Account: By clicking on your email address or your name at the bottom of the screen, you can access your account details, such as settings, logout options, help and FAQs provided by OpenAI. You’ll find an Upgrade to Plus option if you do not have ChatGPT Plus.
- You can see the questions and prompts you gave the AI chatbot.
- ChatGPT responses: The logo appears on the left whenever ChatGPT answers your questions. You will see the Copy, Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down buttons to the right of every response. Please copy the text and paste it somewhere else. You can also provide feedback by copying the text into your clipboard. This helps to fine-tune the AI tool.
- Click on “Regenerate Response” to have ChatGPT try again.
- Textarea: Enter your questions and prompts in this area. Press enter to send.
- OpenAI’s ChatGPT includes some fine print just below the text entry area. You can read that this is a “Free Research Preview”. ChatGPT can produce inaccurate information regarding people, places or facts. This section shows you the current version of ChatGPT.
Techsbird ChatGPT guides
ChatGPT certainly isn’t overrated. Users can create creative ideas to do anything, from asking funny questions to correcting a code bug. In all of these areas, it’s clear that what makes this AI software remarkable is not how innovative it can be but how good it is at generating texts and how easy and accessible it is to use.
Techsbird has a number of guides that explain how to use ChatGPT in different ways:
Use ChatGPT in the classroom.
- Need an AI essay author? ChatGPT and other chatbots can help.
- How to get ChatGPT to provide citations and sources
- How to save a ChatGPT Conversation to return to it later
- How to use ChatGPT for a summary of a book, an article or a research paper
- A mom explains how her children can safely use ChatGPT.
Use ChatGPT for writing code.
- Use ChatGPT for writing code.
- ChatGPT can improve and rewrite your existing code.
- Why you should install and use AI ChatGPT-4 plugins
- Here’s how I did it. This is how it worked.
- Subscribe to ChatGPT Plus: How and why?
- ChatGPT has just debugged your code. It’s real.
- What is the cost of using ChatGPT?
- I asked ChatGPT for a WordPress Plugin I needed. It took less than five minutes.
Use ChatGPT at work.
- Use ChatGPT for Excel Formulas
- ChatGPT Plus mines your corporate data to provide powerful insights. How?
- Use ChatGPT for your resume.
- How to use ChatGPT for a cover note (and why you should).
- How I launched my Etsy store quickly using ChatGPT, AI art tools and ChatGPT
Useful chatGPT tips
- Write better ChatGPT prompts to get the best AI results.
- Use ChatGPT Custom Instructions in 6 useful ways.
- Six skills to become a prompt AI engineer
- You need to be aware of 7 advanced ChatGPT prompt writing tips
- How to stop OpenAI’s AI-training crawler from ingesting data
- How to use ChatGPT on iPhone and iPad as a Siri shortcut
What is the best method to use ChatGPT?
ChatGPT can generate responses to questions (a feature that could challenge search engines in the future) and can be used to create content, such as essays or summaries of books. The better your prompt, the more likely you will get a good response. You can start by using these examples:
- How does a computer store and process data?
- Please fix this code: [Paste code]
- Write a poem in the style of Walt Whitman about migraine.
- What is the difference between bacteria and viruses?
- Please write a note of absence for my child.
- Write a poem/song about [insert subject here] — Add multiple details.
- Ask it to create a recipe using the ingredients in your pantry.
- You can use this to summarise ideas or concepts.
- Ask for a list of items to pack for a 3-day beach trip.
You are only limited by your imagination. Enjoy different ChatGPT questions. David Gewirtz, a ZDNET employee, used the AI chatbot as a tool to fix his code more quickly. He also asked ChatGPT for a Star Trek script and launched a business using AI and the technology.
Other people have used it to create malware. ChatGPT has been used by a professor in his classroom, and many other teachers use it more than students. You could also try these other ideas:
How do I access ChatGPT without having to log in?
You can only use ChatGPT via OpenAI if you sign in. When you create an account on the website, it is required that you provide a valid phone number as confirmation.
Bing Chat is a free AI chatbot you can access without logging in. It’s also built using GPT-4, a newer and larger model than ChatGPT from OpenAI. Bing can be accessed with a Microsoft Account for longer conversations.
HuggingChat, another AI chatbot, is accessible without logging in. However, it’s less effective than ChatGPT or Bing Chat.
Can I use ChatGPT with my mobile phone?
OpenAI has launched a ChatGPT iOS app, which is available in the App Store for iPhone users. There is also an Android ChatGPT app.
Smartphone users don’t need to download any apps. They can access the AI-based tool directly from their mobile web browser.
OpenAI ChatGPT can be used from a mobile browser by following the above steps: log in at chat.openai.com and accept the terms. Then, start typing. The AI assistant works the same way you access it on your computer.
Also read: How to Make AI Art with Midjourney in 2023